- You are a new student at the MPIA?
- You have trouble orienting yourself at the institute?
- You do not know who you have to talk to?
- This page should answer many of these questions.
Please print this Introduction Checklist for MPIA students and approach the people on the list. They will properly introduce you to the MPIA.
To make your registration at the University easier we have prepared "Checklist for IMPRS-students for registration at Heidelberg University".
Why is it good to be student at the MPIA?
We are in a very good scientific environment. Not only your supervisor, but every scientist in this building is open for questions. Do not hesitate to ask them if you are stuck with a problem! Also the directors are always open to talk to students! There are many social activities offered at the institute. Just to name some:
- Student coffee: Every day in office 216B from 13:30 to 14:00 - please bring a cup!
- Free coffee and hot chocolate from the coffee machine on the second floor (by the main stairs) from 15:30 to 16:00 (14:30 to 15:00 on Fridays)
- Soccer: Wednesdays 16:00 to 18:00 - for more info contact the Soccer List.
- Happy Hour: Once a month we have an informal get-together with free beer (paid with money from the student treasury).
- Movie Nights: Occassionally, we will use one of the nice projectors up at the institute and have a movie night. Feel free to organize one on your own! For doing this, please contact Nils Lippok and your student representatives for more info on financial support for that.
- In addition, if you would like to plan an event, contact the student representatives with your idea.
- If you ever need technical or IT-support, you can contact the "Technischer Dienst" (office 014, telephone: 250 or 450) and the IT-service: Frank Richter, Marco Piroth, and Ulrich Hiller(office 117, telephone 238, 248).
- Questions on IMPRS and HGSFP can always be answered by Christian Fendt.
- At the MPIA we have a PhD Advisory Committee which meets with every student once a year to help them to have a successful PhD thesis. For more details see the PAC homepage.
Who will help me with my questions?
Where can I find things?
Have a look on the internal web pages of the MPIA. You can find different forms (travel form etc.) on Forms and Information webpage, information on the Computing Environment, Room Occupation Plans, and much more on these pages. Be aware that they only work from within the institute or if you are connected via VPN to the institute.